I
I am going to try to help a friend with stabilizing an ongoing construction of a 5*5m shed, and the problem is that it is not stable. If you push on one side, it wobbles, and he doesn't want any diagonal boards for bracing. So my question is, can it work with a perforated strip screwed diagonally onto the studs? The wall frames are constructed with 45*95 cc1000 and 45*95 at angles both at the top and bottom to make it stiffer, and the walls are screwed at the corners for better stability.
 
  • Haha
Workingclasshero and 4 others
  • Laddar…
Sounds a bit too weak with cc1000 I think... And impractical. Perforated tape should work, but it might be difficult to tension properly without special tools. You could also inset some diagonal braces, with cc1000 you can fit pretty long ones.
 
  • Like
Cheesen and 2 others
  • Laddar…
Should the walls be covered with sheet metal or 'sheathed' in another way?
 
  • Like
FraCap888 and 1 other
  • Laddar…
Built a smaller building of about 30 m2 that wasn't supposed to be finished inside for a couple of years, used perforated tape and anchor screws, no problem tightening the perforated tapes, just screw a little at an angle, the building stood perfectly straight after 3 years and various storms, I chose to remove the perforated tapes when the interior cladding was done.
 
  • Like
evertb and 4 others
  • Laddar…
Crossed perforated tape screwed into each post stiffens up well.
 
  • Like
Roger Fundin and 4 others
  • Laddar…
I
F fribygg said:
Should the walls be covered with sheet metal or 'sheeted' in another way?
Sheet metal on the outside, nothing on the inside.
 
I
S Sune i Blekinge said:
Built a smaller building of about 30 m2 that wasn’t intended to be finished inside for a couple of years used perforated band and anchor screws with no problem to tighten the perforated bands just by screwing a bit diagonally the building stood perfectly straight after 3 years and various storms I chose to remove the perforated bands in conjunction with the interior cladding
R roke said:
Crossed perforated bands screwed into each post provide good reinforcement.
Then you might be able to put the perforated bands on the outside before cladding with sheet metal to avoid having them in the way if you want to do some kind of interior design in the future.
 
  • Like
Roger Fundin and 4 others
  • Laddar…
I
joakim_j joakim_j said:
Sounds a bit too flimsy with cc1000 I think... And impractical. Hålband works well, but it might be difficult to tighten properly without special tools. You could also inset a few diagonal joists, with cc1000 you can fit some pretty long ones.
When you're not going to cover the inside, I think cc1000 should work fine.
 
S
I Incinerator said:
Then you might be able to place the perforated straps on the outside before cladding with metal to avoid them being in the way if you want to do some type of interior decoration in the future.
That sounds completely reasonable. In two simple buildings, I have tensioned the perforated straps by attaching the strap at one end, and near or beyond the other end, diagonally screwing a long screw with a washer through the strap in the tensioning direction. Then fixed the strap at that end with permanent screws. It's not how the pros do it, but it has become sufficiently rigid. On the outside of the wall studs, inside the standing paneling. Both buildings seem to be standing very straight a few years later.

If you anchor the perforated strap to two standing wall studs, you risk them bending toward each other and loosening the brace. So anchor it to cross braces - hammer beam, noggings, sill plate. I don't know where I got that from, but I think it makes sense.
 
  • Like
Ingenjören and 2 others
  • Laddar…
When I built my conservatory, it was a bit wobbly at first since I didn't have diagonals in the walls, but it became much more stable when I added the roof. It was a polycarbonate roof, but even in a shed with a different type of roof, it should be possible to reduce some of the wobbliness by strengthening the roof with diagonals if there are no construction boards, etc. Construction boards in the walls, as people have suggested, are also a good idea since the board can handle diagonal forces, even shorter braces are beneficial, maybe you can place them at a high height so they are not in the way? Placing a more discreet brace in the form of a type of cladding board just inside the facade also provides stability, especially if the facade is also screwed into the brace, which reduces the buckling length of the brace and makes it more stable when it has to handle pressure.
 
  • Like
Mathias12 and 1 other
  • Laddar…
Unikt namn
I have a freestanding, uninsulated shed without diagonals.
Vertical cladding and no boards.

Over time, it has become a rhombus.
So, that type of construction I cannot recommend.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
sturnus and 6 others
  • Laddar…
Hole Holeband diagonally works great!
 
  • Like
Roger Fundin and 2 others
  • Laddar…
When the sheet metal is screwed on, it stiffens up significantly as well. No, you don't need any diagonals, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have strapping there. It's also so cheap in this context.
 
  • Like
Roger Fundin and 2 others
  • Laddar…
Nissens
I Incinerator said:
When you aren't supposed to clad the inside, I think cc1000 should work fine.
Can you elaborate on that reasoning? If you're not cladding the inside, it seems strange to make the structure weaker…
 
  • Like
TRJBerg and 3 others
  • Laddar…
Frerider
It is common to space the studs further apart if the inside is not going to be covered or insulated, but 1000c/c is a bit unusual, better with 1200c/c in that case.
 
  • Like
Roger Fundin and 1 other
  • Laddar…
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.