I have some "rough spots" on an outdoor beam that need fixing. If it were indoors, I would use filler in several layers and then sand, but how do you do it outdoors? It concerns a beam exposed to sun/rain and then needs to be painted. I've looked at outdoor sealant but I need something that covers slightly larger areas, and in some cases, there are level differences that soft sealant won't fix. So something that hardens and can fill nicely, which can then be sanded and painted, and also withstands weather and wind.

I foolishly tested with regular filler on a small piece (due to lack of knowledge). What's happened is that the white paint after just a few months turned brown and then peeled off, with the filler damp and the wood under the filler also damp, so I had to scrape off paint + filler and dry the wood. So now I need to try a new option.

Hope someone has some tips that can help me :-)!
 
Treat the rule like a regular wooden window. First, use linseed oil, then linseed oil putty or linseed oil filler, finish with a couple of thin layers of linseed oil paint.
 
Thank you for the tips and for taking the time to respond!
I haven't worked with linoljekitt/linoljespackel before. Does it harden so that it can be sanded after drying?
The trim is located by a balcony where the entire balcony is already freshly painted with "regular" exterior paint. Do you know if I need to use linseed oil paint on linoljespackel or can I use the "regular" exterior paint on top of the filler?
 
If you have regular oil paint, it can work well outdoors.
(If you have plastic paint, it's usually quite pointless to fill and paint, as it comes off when moisture gets behind it, and if it happens to stay, the wood rots instead.)
You can use any window putty you want, I prefer linoljekitt (which doesn't dry as quickly) for smaller holes where I don't want or don't have the energy to insert new wood.
 
Click here to reply
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.