Alfredo Alfredo said:
A picture of how it looks would probably make it easier to understand what's wrong.
The problem is that the entire expander has rotated and damaged the drywall hole instead of the expanding part staying still and expanding when you tighten the screw. I would call it a "common" error when installing your first drywall expanders.
 
  • Like
Macewe and 2 others
  • Laddar…
I also recommend using a regular screwdriver instead of a drill until it is completely secure.
 
  • Like
Dilato and 3 others
  • Laddar…
redarn redarn said:
I also recommend using a regular screwdriver instead of a power drill until it is completely tight.
Exactly, then you can "feel" more easily if the expander is starting to tend to rotate before it does. With a power drill, it just "spins" and the drywall is ruined, and you end up with an "oversized" hole.
 
  • Like
Hep and 4 others
  • Laddar…
Do what you should have done from the beginning, buy a tång. Then you would have avoided all the trouble.
 
  • Like
Macewe
  • Laddar…
A Anemon86 said:
Would this work?
I bought Jula's version which looks exactly the same. It was completely useless as the "fork" that is supposed to hook and pull the screw head bent after just a few plugs, so it started slipping when you applied pressure.
 
  • Like
Anemon86
  • Laddar…
Instead of buying pliers, I had bought
https://amzn.eu/d/098uio9U

Drill 10mm holes, insert the plug, and pull out.
Then regular wood screws, hooks, etc. work.

No special tools, works for single and double gypsum.
 
K Kanelbullen123 said:
Instead of buying pliers, I would have bought
[link]

Drill a 10mm hole, push in the plug, and pull out.
Then regular wood screws, hooks, etc. work.

No special tools, works for single and double gypsum
holeholeholecavity decoration for fastening in gypsum fiber, wood, and steel plates...
 
  • Like
Kanelbullen123
  • Laddar…
redarn redarn said:
I also recommend using a regular screwdriver instead of a drill until it is completely tight.
I have never had any problems when I've tightened manually!
 
A Anemon86 said:
It is exactly like the picture I posted in my question.
But isn't that picture from Biltema? I mean a picture of how your Molly looks after you tightened the screw? So that perhaps one can understand why it isn't expanding.
 
pacman42 pacman42 said:
I have never had problems when I've tightened manually!
I have noticed that the threads on the screw are deformed at the end (so that it cannot be unscrewed). On some plugs you buy, the screw is pre-screwed so it stays put, so you start by screwing it in a few turns until it turns easily before inserting it into the hole and start tightening.
 
  • Like
Anemon86
  • Laddar…
Sounds like a disadvantage that the screw cannot be unscrewed.
 
Stefan Bengtsson Stefan Bengtsson said:
Sounds like a disadvantage that the screw cannot be unscrewed.
You're thinking in case you were planning to use the Molly to attach something? 😱🙄🙃
 
  • Haha
Dilato
  • Laddar…
Alfredo Alfredo said:
Are you thinking in case someone had intended to use the Mollyn to attach something? 😱🙄🙃
One could imagine regretting it and wanting to unscrew it and fill over the flange that's left.
 
  • Haha
Alfredo
  • Laddar…
Alfredo Alfredo said:
Are you thinking in case someone intended to use the Mollyn to attach something? 😱🙄🙃
Yes, it's mostly in that scenario that it can be considered a disadvantage.
 
  • Haha
Alfredo
  • Laddar…
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.