Another question. If you've drilled holes for expansion screws but the holes have become too big for various reasons. Now they are filled with putty. But you can't drill a new hole in the same spot again? The putty will just crumble apart? If you want to have a screw in exactly that spot, can you use something else instead of an expansion plug?
You need to cut out a larger area and "patch" it with a new piece of drywall. You can take this opportunity to insert a piece of wood board or plank that you attach to the wall panel and the "patch." Then you can also use a regular wood screw to hang right there.
But the molly bolt doesn't expand, that's my problem,
OK, but if the "bottom" is being pulled towards the "top" and it still doesn't expand, I don't really understand what's happening. As long as the threads of the screw and the nut are working, and nothing is hindering the expansion, it should reasonably expand if you drive in the screw. Where else would the "expansion metal strips" go?
You need to cut out a larger area and "patch" it with a new piece of drywall. You can take the opportunity to insert a piece of wood or board that you attach to the wall panel and the "patch". Then you can also use regular wood screws to hang just there.
Now it got difficult😁. When you're just going to do something simple, it seems to get more and more complicated.
OK, but if the "bottom" is pulled towards the "top" but it still doesn't expand, I don't quite understand what's happening. As long as the threads of the screw and nut work, and nothing prevents the expansion, it should reasonably expand if you screw in the screw. Where else do the "expansion metal strips" go?
No matter how I screw in or unscrew, it does not expand. I can remove the entire expander without it having expanded. The more I try to screw, the bigger the hole becomes. Or it's that I don't have the strength to pull the screw so that it expands.
A tip is to buy a setting tool for metal expanders even if it doesn't help you now.
This way you avoid the risk of the expander starting to spin and causing problems.
Some "molly" from discount stores can be difficult to get the expanding "lips" to "unfold," so for these expanders, an expander plier is recommended. The cheapest ones work excellently, for example, this one from Biltema.
If you instead buy the genuine product from Molly (the brand), it is usually enough to make sure the teeth grip the board and that the hole is tight, then it will expand if you gently tighten the screw. But even here, pliers are a good tool to ensure the most secure fastening, preventing the expander from starting to twist and damaging the drywall.
Some "molly" from budget stores can be difficult to get the expanding "lips" to "fold out" so for these expanders, an expander tool is recommended, the cheapest ones work excellently, for example, this one from Biltema.
[image]
If you instead buy the genuine Molly (the brand), it usually suffices to make sure that the teeth grip the board and that the hole is tight, then it will expand if you tighten the screw gently. But even here, pliers are a good tool that provides the safest attachment so that you avoid having the expander start to twist and damage the plasterboard.
It will probably work too but likely costs more than the one I showed in the picture. I bought something similar myself but had to buy another one like the one I showed in the picture because the first one couldn't "pull out" the screw after I mounted 2-3 expanders since it lost "friction" in the mechanism. But a functioning one provides quicker installation than the cheaper one I showed in the picture. The most important thing in both options is to start getting the wings to flip out, but after they've done this, you still need to screw carefully so the expander part doesn't start rotating. However, you learn how to do it after installing a few of them. If you want a good result (if you're inexperienced with installation/beginner) without rotating and damaged drywall, I recommend test mounting 1-2 of them on a loose drywall piece to get the technique right.
It will probably work too but probably costs more than the one I showed in the picture. I've bought something similar myself but had to buy another one like the one I showed in the picture because the first one couldn't "pull out" the screw after I mounted 2-3 expanders as it lost "friction" in the mechanism. But a functioning one offers a faster assembly than the cheaper one I showed in the picture. The most important thing in both alternatives is to get the wings to start folding out, but after they've done this, you still have to screw with a bit of caution so that the expander part doesn't start rotating. But you learn how to do it after you've mounted a few. If you want a good result (if you're inexperienced or a beginner) without rotating and damaged gypsum board, I recommend you test mount 1-2 on a loose piece of gypsum to get the technique right.
Thank you so much for the answer.
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.