I am going to attach a beam to the wood paneling but I'm wondering how to find the studs. I've tapped on the paneling a bit but can't hear any difference.

Can I assume that the studs run down under the roof trusses (red lines) and use that as a starting point, then count cc 600 from there? The roof trusses are cc 1200, so that seems reasonable.

Or is it more likely that it's framed based on the door/window frame (blue lines)?

Townhouse built in 76.
 
  • Red and blue lines on exterior wall panel indicate potential stud placement beneath roof and near doors/windows of a 1976 townhouse for support beam installation.
It is likely that there is an inset standing wall plate there as reinforcement above the windows. Try to screw in between the rafters 10-15cm up from the window and see if the screw holds.
 
Maybe it's time to remove a few panel boards to see what it looks like behind?
If you're lucky, you'll only need to remove one!
 
  • Like
Festlund
  • Laddar…
Removed some paneling where I thought I would find a stud - instead found more paneling... drilled about 10cm deep and it's empty everywhere. Not too keen on removing too much paneling.

The battens didn't give any clues either, they seem to be attached with the nails that the outer paneling is fastened with.

What do we think? Continue removing paneling until I see signs that the battens are attached to something?
 
  • Exterior wall with red panels partially removed, revealing brown panels underneath. Exposed wooden batten visible on a house facade.
Last edited:
Directly under the roof truss, you should have a joist.
 
Matti_75 Matti_75 said:
Directly under the rafter, you should have a joist
Yes, that's what I thought, but when I test drill, there is air about 10cm in behind the inner panel. Can the joist really be deeper than that?
 
V vattenpass1 said:
Yes, that's what I thought, but when I test drill, there's air about 10 cm in behind the inner panel. Can the stud really be deeper than that?
In your case, maybe yes. It looks like you have two layers of paneling.
 
Yes, depending on how the wall is constructed. I personally had to use 330mm long screws to get a grip.
 
Cut a hole so you can see what it looks like behind the inner panel.
 
It will be time to buy a longer drill then!
 
Click here to reply
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.