P petlund.pl said:
Interesting that no one mentions how the timber is sawn. If you look at the growth rings, you'll understand why the board behaves in a certain way. Unfortunately, quarter-sawn timber is no longer readily available in regular commerce.
Just saw this now and it seems really essential in this context. Was quarter-sawn timber generally available at one time? How long ago was that?
 
Hep Hep said:
In Vallentuna. I have lent out a house on the property to a sawmill on the west coast. I'm not the one selling, or getting a commission, so I dare to write about it. But I'm the one who has the key, so it's me you contact if you want to make a purchase.
Mmm… Considering.
 
M mats.3 said:
Yes, it's quite cheap and it's easy to pick out nice pieces.
Spruce is hardly suitable for outdoor furniture...
 
  • Like
Huddingebo
  • Laddar…
I have worked at a sawmill for 7 to 8 years and now in house building at a factory for some years.

There is a big difference in some studs, some weigh a ton and some are like balsa wood and they are in the same package and have approximately the same moisture content.

The sawmill buys from many cuttings, at the mill it is sorted into, e.g., 20 different thicknesses/classes for each type of wood.
Class 10 is sawn to 50*125*2, dried, and planed to 45*120, so your 45*120 studs can come from 5-20 different places. (Class taken just as an example)
So one stud can have cm between the annual rings and the next so close together that you can barely see where one starts.

At the factory I am at now, we always cover with plastic if we bring in studs, and outside we also have wrapped packages; if we open one and take a bunch, we cover and tape it.
 
  • Like
Magnus E K and 1 other
  • Laddar…
F fribygg said:
The quality timber that may exist in the capital region should probably remain, you will likely need to buy timber grown outside the county.
There's hardly much timber sold in any metropolitan area that has been harvested locally. Here in Stockholm, I've seen that it can come from Hälsingland and the Eastern Bloc. There are plenty of places that have core pine in stock or can bring it in and mill it to what you want.
 
  • Like
fribygg
  • Laddar…
Huddingebo Huddingebo said:
There are plenty of places that have or bring in kärnfura and plane it into what you want.
Sweden's best pine probably grows in the Älvsby area and around Vimmerby, Ansgarius Svensson is said to saw most of the Småland quality pine.
 
C
nino nino said:
There is a big difference in certain beams, some weigh like crazy and some are like balsa wood, and they are in the same package and have approximately the same moisture content.
Yes, as it has been explained to me, the industry does not saw "fine wood" at the same sawmill, and there is no sorting of the logs in such a way that particularly fine wood is sent elsewhere. So the problem is not that there is a lack of extra fine wood, but that the percentage that comes in is not sorted out, as at a smaller sawmill.
 
  • Like
Huddingebo
  • Laddar…
F fribygg said:
Sweden's best pine probably grows in the Älvsby area and around Vimmerby, Ansgarius Svensson is said to saw most of the Småland quality pine.
Everyone highlights their local pine as the best...
I would probably claim that quality timber grows in large parts of the country.
It's more about the right growth site, the right soil, etc.
And then sorting it out.
 
  • Like
cpalm
  • Laddar…
Huddingebo Huddingebo said:
Everyone emphasizes the local pine as the best...
I would probably argue that quality timber grows in large parts of the country.
It's more about the right growing site, the right soil, etc.
I dare say that the Skåne pine is hardly suitable for outdoor furniture, but the Gotland pine could be suitable..
 
  • Like
Oldboy
  • Laddar…
F fribygg said:
Gran is hardly suitable for outdoor furniture...
Try it and you will see, and as I said, they are short pieces that you can select, and not everything needs to be complicated. I can also mention that I've worked as a carpenter for 45 years, so I've tested most things in wood.
 
C cpalm said:
Yes, as it was explained to me, "fine wood" is not sawn at the same sawmill within the industry, and there is no sorting of the logs in a way that particularly fine wood is sent elsewhere. So the problem is not a lack of extra fine wood, but that the percentage that comes in is not sorted out, as it would be at a smaller sawmill
No, exactly, a little sorting is done but it's more for flooring, laminated wood, etc., not furniture wood.
 
M mats.3 said:
Test it and you'll see, and as I said, you can choose short pieces, and everything doesn't have to be complicated. I might mention that I've worked as a carpenter for 45 years, so I've tried most things involving wood.
I myself have only had my own forestry and sawmill for a quarter of a century, so I have to defer to the employed carpenters who use sparse paneling of spruce where heartwood pine or oak would be more suitable...

I am absolutely willing to test the sawmill industry's 28*70, but then it will be protected just as sparse paneling in the ceiling, then it is a suitable, cheap, and readily available choice.
 
  • Haha
  • Wow
mats.3 and 1 other
  • Laddar…
C
F fribygg said:
I am absolutely prepared to test the sawmill industry's 28*70, but it would be used specifically as spaced paneling in the ceiling, where it's a suitable, cheap, and readily available choice.
How did we go from selected heart pine from Skåne for outdoor furniture to industrially sawn spaced paneling in spruce?
 
C cpalm said:
How did we go from selected Scania pine for outdoor furniture to industrially sawn spaced panel in spruce?
Because the man with 75 years of experience says it's the smart choice.
 
  • Like
fribygg
  • Laddar…
Hep Hep said:
Because the man with 75 years of experience says it's the smart choice.
Skånsk kärnfura?
 
  • Like
Oldboy
  • Laddar…
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.