21,295 views ·
37 replies
21k views
37 replies
Rust on new "stainless" floor drain
Yes, it can be good to avoid steel wool. But if you make sure to wash away any residues afterwards, there should not be any problems.
Just seeing now that it's about the topside
, I thought it was the underside that was rusting, as I've had some issues with that myself. I have to polish 3-4 times a year. If it's not a material defect, then it must be due to some chemical (soap, shampoo, cleaning agent, etc.) that also has plenty of time to act. Does the water not drain off properly?
No, but it's the underside according to TS anyway. Those drain grates are usually laser cut or something like that and lack a drip edge. I think you can clearly see how the rust is sitting in a circle just inside the hole in the underlying frame, right? An interesting detail in this context is that my rust ends up in the corners where there's metal against metal against the frame (square drain grate, round hole in the frame).
Unfortunately, there aren't that many "stainless" steels. Corrosion-resistant might be a better term for these steels. You need to reach super- or hyper-duplex steels before you can start talking about stainless with PRE numbers over 40. (I believe 304 is at 26 in PRE). That said, I barely think you can even consider your sheet to be 304, perhaps Chinese steel was used and then labeled as 304. I would try to get a new one and see if the problem persists if it doesn't cost more than a few hundred. It could have been a bad batch of sheet metal to the manufacturer that has now improved after three years.
Member
· Västernorrland
· 12 100 posts
Well, it depends on what you use. Even the grill you have was originally sanded. You don't have to start with 80 grit like you would for putty; you can choose according to your needs. The finer you use towards the end, the shinier it gets, and then you can polish it to a mirror finish if you feel like it.S SH68 said:
It's the underside of the lid that has rusted. The top side dries more easily and is not as exposed as the underside. The shower is used pretty much every day, so the underside is probably more or less wet all the time I would imagine.HasseTeknik said:
I only now see that it concerns the top side, I thought it was the underside that rusted, because I have certain problems with that myself. I have to clean it 3-4 times a year. If it's not a material defect, then it must be due to some chemical (soap, shampoo, cleaning agent, etc.), which also gets a long time to work. Doesn't the water run off properly?
I was thinking about something. Ajax for lime scale removal (and other products for this) is quite acidic. Could that be it? I will make sure to rinse the drain thoroughly after cleaning and see if it improves.
Click here to reply