I'm going to rewallpaper but can't get the handrail off. I've unscrewed the 3 visible screws but I can feel that it's stuck in three more places. There are no more entry holes or screw heads. Lifting or pulling doesn't work either. How do I get it off?
 
  • Wooden handrail on a stairwell wall with visible screw holes. Wallpaper partially removed. Question about detaching the handrail.
What does it look like on the underside and the top side?
What does it look like against the wall?
 
Demmpa Demmpa said:
What does it look like on the underside and the top side?
What does it look like facing the wall?
 
  • Wooden staircase with torn wallpaper pieces strewn across steps; wallpaper partially removed from cream-patterned wall. Tools on the stairs.
  • Wooden door frame against a partially stripped wallpapered wall.
Completely smooth, no screw holes. But I can feel three metal brackets when I insert a putty knife between the wall and the handrail.
 
What does the screw you removed look like?
How long are they?

I suspect that the railing and the extra beam are glued together.
 
  • Like
Terres
  • Laddar…
Frerider
T Terres said:
Completely smooth, no screw holes. But I can feel three metal mounts when I run a putty knife between the wall and the handrail.
Place a knife or small crowbar gently between the spacer bar and the handrail and pry a little, it might be glued, and then the spacer bar itself might be screwed and you won't see the heads until you pry off the outer handrail.
 
  • Like
Terres
  • Laddar…
Demmpa Demmpa said:
What does the screw you removed look like?
How long are they?

I suspect that the handrail and extra rule are glued together.
 
  • Screw on a wooden surface next to a folding ruler showing a length of about six centimeters.
  • Hand holding screw against wooden frame and wallpapered wall.
Okay, the previous owner has managed to re-wallpaper because there are two layers of wallpaper, so it should be possible somehow. But they might have been meticulous and glued as well.
 
Frerider
T Terres said:
Ok, the previous owner managed to re-wallpaper because there are two layers of wallpaper, so it should be possible somehow. But they might have been careful and glued as well.
But the screws talking about the outer handrail being screwed into the spacer behind, so break apart the two different wooden pieces, and the spacer will be screwed into the wall itself.
 
  • Like
Terres
  • Laddar…
Click here to reply
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.