L Liljeros said:
The reason is probably because it is picked and sorted through by customers, the staff throws it back so some can be really old.
Of course, a large part is put back, just because a picky customer doesn't want the wood for their project doesn't mean it's condemned for that..
 
  • Like
Festlund
  • Laddar…
R Relik said:
Hello
I have now been to two building supply stores (kbygg and byggmax) in my search for 45x70 studs. I have to search high and low to find one that is not bent or twisted. I thought the standard was that the studs would be perfectly straight? Is the reason that I'm looking right now, thinking that I'm not alone in starting construction projects, and all the straight ones have already been sold?

Regards
What are you going to build with these perfectly straight studs?
 
I think most of the studs I buy are straight. But I shop at a small local lumberyard.
 
  • Like
vanpire and 1 other
  • Laddar…
S hjulia said:
Now, I don't know what it looks like at Byggmax today, but about 10 years ago, the Byggmax stores around here bought second-grade lumber from nearby sawmills, sometimes even third-grade. K-rauta, as it was called then, was located a block away from Byggmax and also bought from the same sawmills, but they purchased first-grade, so at Byggmax, you had to carefully inspect each piece of lumber, especially during the decking season, while at K-rauta, you could usually just load up. If Byggmax still handles sourcing in the same way, it probably varies a lot across the country how easy/difficult it is to find straight lumber.
At "our" Byggmax, it may have Derome stamped on the end. I would guess that the wood isn't suitable for carpenters and is therefore sent to Byggmax.
 
Müssli Müssli said:
At "our" Byggmax, it can have Derome stamped on the end. I would guess that the timber is not suitable for carpenters and is therefore forwarded to Byggmax.
You can believe that, but you are wrong. A C24 is C24, regardless if it's bought at Beijer or Byggmax. The same applies to sorting qualities like G4-2.

Why timber from Derome would be negative, I don't understand. It mostly reveals that you probably live in Western Sweden. If "your" store was further north, it would probably have SCA on the ends or some other sawmill from Northern Sweden.
 
  • Like
Festlund and 5 others
  • Laddar…
R Relik said:
Hello
I have now been to two hardware stores (kbygg and byggmax) in my search for studs 45x70. I'm searching high and low for ones that aren't bent or warped. I thought the standard was that the studs should be perfectly straight? Is the reason that I am looking right now, thinking that I'm not the only one starting building projects, and all the straight ones have already been sold?

Best regards
Use metal studs, if it's for walls.
 
  • Like
ulfben and 3 others
  • Laddar…
Interesting that no one mentions how the timber is sawn. If you look at the annual rings, you'll understand why the board behaves in a certain way. Unfortunately, quarter-sawn timber is no longer available in regular trade.
 
  • Like
FBrobeck
  • Laddar…
H HenrikHuslöse said:
Customers before you have taken the straight studs and left the remaining ones haphazardly so that they have become banana-shaped over time. Even those that were straight from the beginning. That's the problem with customers loading themselves.

That guy who "helps with the loading" at the real lumber yard is not there as a service; he's there so customers don't ruin the timber.
Or he's there to make sure customers don't pick out the straight studs and leave the bananas.
 
R Relik said:
Hello
I have now been to two hardware stores (kbygg and byggmax) in my search for studs 45x70. I have to search high and low to find any that aren't bent or warped. I thought the standard was that the studs should be straight as an arrow? Is the reason that I'm looking right now, thinking that I'm not the only one starting construction projects, and all the straight ones have already been sold?

Best regards
At our Byggmax in Leksand, studs often come in zig-zag cut every meter and then glued back together. They become very straight!
 
  • Like
Festlund and 1 other
  • Laddar…
J JBE80 said:
You are free to believe that, but you're wrong. A C24 is a C24 whether bought at Beijer or Byggmax. The same applies to sorting qualities like G4-2.

Why it would be negative with timber from Derome, I don't understand. It mostly just reveals that you probably live in Western Sweden. If "your" store were up north, it would probably say SCA on the ends or some other sawmill from Norrland.
Nah, I'm likely wrong. I have no idea actually, thanks for the clarification. 😊 What I do know is there's a big difference in the timber at Byggmax compared to the wholesalers who primarily sell to companies. And the price rises as well, of course.
 
InfoDanne InfoDanne said:
At our Byggmax in Leksand, we often receive beams that are zig-zag cut every meter and then glued back together. They become very straight!
Do you know who produces the timber?
 
R Relik said:
Hello
I've now been to two building stores (kbygg and byggmax) searching for studs 45x70. I'm searching high and low to find some that are not bent or twisted. I thought the standard was that the studs should be straight as an arrow? Is the reason that I'm searching right now, thinking I'm not alone in starting construction projects, and all the straight ones have already been sold?

Best regards
Regardless of which lumber you buy or where, you must check for density and if it is straight, as well as where the knots are.
I do this every time I buy wood.
 
U Urban Schelen said:
Use metal studs, if it's for walls.
Finally someone said it😀
 
  • Like
Festlund
  • Laddar…
InfoDanne InfoDanne said:
At our Byggmax in Leksand, joists quite often come in that are zig-zag cut every meter and then glued back together. They become very straight!
That's quite an expensive solution that is mainly applied to thicker structural timber. Do they have it in the regular timber bundles?
 
C cpalm said:
Here they get the timber from the "usual" large suppliers, e.g., Sodra. I would guess it's the same throughout the country, Byggmax feels quite centrally managed(?)



Construction timber is not cabinet dried. There is likely a standard for how dry it should be upon delivery, but what I mean is that the process to get there affects the tendency for warping. How dry the timber was when it was felled is just one link in the chain.
18% in the building trade is standard, at least upon delivery
12% is cabinet dried. 15% is often used in Germany for construction timber
 
  • Like
HenrikHuslöse and 1 other
  • Laddar…
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.