Are 10-12 French bolts "fairly long" possibly M8-12 enough?

  • Yes, it should hold according to calculations. I would be calm.

    0 Votes 0.0%
  • Maybe, I would have secured it with something more.

    0 Votes 0.0%
  • Maybe, but if it collapses, it's likely during a stormy winter with all the extra weight and wind.

    0 Votes 0.0%
  • No! Improve immediately!

    0 Votes 0.0%
  • Total voters
    2
Hi!
I built a treehouse for the kids a few years ago. The construction has been on hold due to time and lack of motivation.
Now that the baby is over a year old, time and motivation have returned.
When I was on the roof fastening the last plank, I started thinking about the attachment to the tree. I just roughly estimated how many fasteners I should have. But now the weight of the treehouse is starting to add up. I have 10 large bolted French screws inserted into the frame at the bottom.
According to Google, these have a fastening strength of 100kg as they are positioned. And Google also says a treehouse of my size can weigh between 300 and 600kg. So it should work.
But I'm having trouble finding good sources. I don't really want to ruin the construction by reinforcing from underneath. But one alternative I have is to have a small thick strong frame 1cm under the treehouse where I can fasten some new M12 screws if the screws break.

The treehouse sways freely through the roof and is not attached to the upper beam. This is because I don't want to cause stress in the construction that could lead to strain on the screws.
The boards on the side are not meant to hold much weight. They're just there to stabilize if all the kids stand in one corner.
The treehouse is quite stable. It moves a little when I'm up and walking around. But when the kids are up, you can't really tell.

What do you think? Feel free to share both opinions and facts. Please distinguish if it's just an opinion or if you have facts on the matter. Thanks!
Best regards, Roger
 
  • A treehouse with wooden walls and a triangular roof is built around a tree, featuring ladders and a railing, set in a garden with surrounding trees.
  • A partially completed treehouse structure built around a large tree, with a wooden frame and beams, set in a garden.
  • Treehouse construction with wooden beams attached to a tree, featuring a level tool, tape measure, and screw gun.
  • Treehouse structure under construction attached to a tree, with wooden frame and plank floor, situated in a garden.
Last edited:
Click here to reply
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.