Hello!

Could someone help me interpret these drawings and descriptions and tell me if this wall could be load-bearing?

We are interested in removing it both in the bathroom on the upper floor and the kitchen on the entrance level. I've marked it in red on the floor plans.

The house has 4 floors. Basement, entrance level, 1st floor, attic. Dimensions approx 10.1x 8.8m

Cross-section drawing of a four-story house with a red line indicating a wall on the first and second floors. Measurements and roof structure are shown. Floor plan of a house showing the main floor with rooms labeled in Swedish. Red lines indicate walls in the kitchen and bathroom potentially for removal.
 
It is most likely load-bearing
 
  • Like
tommib and 1 other
  • Laddar…
I thought the same, but it actually supports the intermediate floors...
It doesn't seem to have much impact on the roof and rafters.

If you want to remove a section of the wall, it should be possible to insert a glulam beam to span it relatively easily...
Any thoughts on that?
 
K
You can do that. How long a section of the wall do you need to remove?
 
The distances aren't that large...

Near the bathroom it will be about 2100mm, and near the kitchen it's about 3000mm.

I'm thinking:
Glued laminated column 90x90 and a glued laminated beam 90x270 for the bathroom...
Glued laminated column 90x90 and a glued laminated beam 90x315 for the kitchen...

The intermediate floors consist of 3"x 8" & 3" x 9" centers 55 with heavy filling on the blind bottom.

The load-bearing interior walls consist of 2" x 2" studs, 3/4" panel, and boarding.
 
Last edited:
The beam dimensions look okay, it would be the deflection that would be on the borderline, (Did a calculation with many assumptions)
I'm sure there's someone else who has something to say about it.
 
  • Like
Sytes
  • Laddar…
When I do a quick check, I conclude that 90x315 will be suitable for the kitchen. That dimension also meets the deflection requirement with a good margin. The glulam beam in the bathroom on the upper floor does not need to be larger than 90x180. The span is significantly smaller. I have also taken into account that the rafters' braces load the attic floor. I have calculated that the floor joists have a span of 8.6 m. Note that these are rough estimates without access to exact measurements.
 
  • Like
bossespecial
  • Laddar…
Thank you for that information, I will check the measurements a bit more carefully, but I will definitely consider if I can make do with 90x180 as you suggest in the bathroom!
 
Click here to reply
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.