Hello!
I am planning to remove a post in the kitchen. According to the original drawings, it is not supposed to be load-bearing. However, during the work, I've discovered a deviation from the drawing that makes me uncertain:
  • The drawing shows: The roof trusses should be joined with DIP/I-beam in steel.
  • Reality shows: When I look up into the joists (via holes for spotlights), I see that the roof trusses are instead nailed together with a splice board.
Current status:
I have removed the cover boards around the post and cut off the beam at the top to check the load. Right now, the post seems completely unloaded, and there is no pressure on it (see attached video clip).

My questions to you:
  1. Is it safe to remove this pillar permanently even though the roof truss construction deviates from the drawing?
  2. Is there a risk of settling in the ceiling or joists in the future (e.g., during snow loading)?


Here are the drawings of the roof trusses:
Blueprint showing two types of truss designs for a roof structure, labeled "TAKSTOL TYP2" and "TAKSTOL TYP1", with detailed measurements. Blueprint of roof truss plan with measurements and construction details, showing non-load-bearing elements, as discussed in the renovation forum post.


Pictures of the pillar:
Wooden support post in kitchen under renovation, partially removed for inspection. Tools on table, plants, and buckets nearby. Home interior view. Wooden support beams exposed during a kitchen renovation, with tools and materials scattered on the floor. A staircase and some furniture are visible.

Video where I cut the top with Fein to see if there is any weight on the pillar:



Best regards, Thomas
 
Most likely it supports the removed heart wall.
That it is loose now after you have cut it off is no guarantee that it won’t be needed when the roof is full of snow.
 
  • Like
Jenpet and 2 others
  • Laddar…
Is it a 1 1/2 story house?
 
Matti_75 Matti_75 said:
Most likely it is supporting the removed gable wall. Just because it's loose now after you've cut it doesn't mean it won't be needed when the roof is full of snow.
Hi,

However, there are no gable walls in the house, but the trusses generally support the floor structure. Here's what it looks like on the other side, which according to the roof drawing has similar TYPE1 trusses.
A modern kitchen interior with a stove, pots, and a refrigerator. The ceiling and wall construction are visible, possibly indicating renovation features.

But as you say, it might be different if the snow settles.

Here's an image of the construction that I think can be interpreted as the demolished "gable wall":
Exposed ceiling joists and light fixture in a house with wooden beams, showing structural construction.

Regards, Thomas
 
Bart Bart said:
Is it a 1 1/2 story house?
Yes, that's correct, here is the layout as well as the marked post Floor plan with marked post, showing various rooms and layout details for a building project. Floor plan with a red arrow highlighting a specific post location in a residential building layout.
 
Floor plan
 
  • Blueprint of a floor framing plan with measurements and annotations, featuring a red arrow indicating a staircase location.
I would say that it is load-bearing. You look like you have a beam there that needs support and since there was a door there previously, the forces were redirected to each side, hence the post.
 
  • Like
lakman and 2 others
  • Laddar…
13th Marine 13th Marine said:
I would say it is load-bearing.
You seem to have a beam there that needs support and as there was a door there previously, the forces were redirected to either side, hence the post.
Hello

In other words, I would need to insert an I-beam between the remaining post and the post by the exterior wall.
Blueprint showing a beam layout with a red line indicating the placement of an I-beam between a central post and an outer wall post. Interior dining area with visible wooden posts and a ceiling beam marked with red indicating where an I-beam is needed.
 
  • Like
Peter71peter
  • Laddar…
Here are my guesses...

This type of truss on a 1.5-story usually always requires support underneath it or embedded in the form of an I-beam somewhere around the middle, otherwise, the upper floor would flex too much!

I think that in the open part by the kitchen side, you have an I-beam just as the drawing shows you should have on truss type 1.

The other half of the house has walls underneath and there you should reasonably be able to splice the truss with boards also according to the drawing, still type 1 truss.

If this isn’t the case, then I find it hard to see how this could work without significant flex on the upper floor.

My big question is where the spot was located that you looked up into, the open part or the part with walls underneath it?
 
  • Like
thomaslj
  • Laddar…
T thomaslj said:
Hello

In other words, I would need to install an I-beam between the remaining pillar and the pillar by the outer wall.
[image][image]
I might be misunderstanding, but a beam typically should lie across the rafters it is supposed to support.
 
  • Like
BirgitS
  • Laddar…
E egge80 said:
Here are my guesses...

This type of truss on a 1.5-story usually always requires support under it or embedded in the form of an I-beam somewhere around the middle; otherwise, the upper floor would flex too much!

I think that in the open part at the kitchen half, you have an I-beam just as the drawing shows you should have on truss type 1.

The other half of the house has walls under it, and there you should reasonably be able to splice the truss with planks according to the drawing, still truss type 1.

If it is not like this, I find it hard to see how this would work without significant flex on the upper floor.

My big question is where the spot was located that you looked up through, the open part or the part with walls under it?
Hi

I think you're right, but the walls where the rooms are don't seem to have any load-bearing walls. But I can imagine that the studs at the door frames help support the trusses.

But I have started to understand that the post I want to remove supports a UNP beam that supports the trusses where we have a high ceiling. So I guess the post is load-bearing even though it can be moved at present.
Wooden slatted railing in a loft area, with exposed beams and high ceiling. The post supports the structure, indicating its potential load-bearing role. Engineering drawing showing technical details of support beams and dimensions of structural elements for a building project.
 
T thomaslj said:
Hi

I think you are right, but the walls where the rooms are don't seem to have any load-bearing walls. But I can imagine that the studs at the doorframes help support the roof trusses.

But I have started to understand that the post I want to remove supports a UNP beam that bears the roof trusses where we have high ceilings. So I assume the post is load-bearing even though it can be moved at the moment.
[image][image]
There are no need for load-bearing walls on the upper floor, it is the bottom chord of the truss that needs support in the middle in the form of an embedded beam, underlying beam or wall

and yes the post you want to remove should support a beam
 
  • Like
thomaslj
  • Laddar…
T thomaslj said:
Hi

In other words, I would need to insert an I-beam between the remaining post and the post at the outer wall.
[image][image]
Probably yes.
 
  • Like
thomaslj
  • Laddar…
Then when you look at the floor plan, I suspect that this wall section has been saved because of how the floor above is constructed.
Interior dining area with wooden beams and highlighted ceiling beams in red and blue, possibly indicating structural aspects of the construction.
 
13th Marine 13th Marine said:
Then when you look at the floor plan, I suspect that this wall section has been saved because of how the floor above is constructed.
[image]
Could be so, but I suspect it's aesthetic since it's empty, no frame there🤔
 
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.