I have a panel board on my shed that's become a bit rotten in a small spot where a sign used to hold moisture against the wall.
Otherwise, the panel is in good condition and I'm not keen on making a major intervention. The profile of the panel is also no longer available as a standard purchase. How can I fix this nicely as a happy amateur?
 
  • Damaged section of wooden siding on a shed, showing a small area of rot where a sign previously trapped moisture.
  • Damaged panel board on a shed wall with a small rotten spot, previously covered by a sign. Bicycle helmet in a basket nearby.
Frerider
Actually, the proper thing to do is to replace damaged parts or saw out and glue in new wood.
But as a makeshift repair, I would have taken chemical wood and filled it in, but keep in mind that the timber should be dry before you do this and all the rotten wood gouged out.
 
  • Yellow container of Kemiskt Trä plastic padding, used for wood repair, shown with a visible label and two customer reviews.
  • Like
Gustaf.P and 1 other
  • Laddar…
I would probably just make a simple fix, remove the rotten part with a morakniv and fill the hole with linseed putty. It's probably best to replace the whole board, but that seems unnecessarily difficult if you don't want to make any major modifications.
 
  • Like
Gustaf.P
  • Laddar…
Would have done the same as Fribygg. And made sure that the area being cleaned will have an outward slope with proper drainage before the repair is applied. Possibly inserted a carved wooden piece into it if the hole is so large that it feels necessary to fill it with more than just putty.
 
  • Like
Gustaf.P
  • Laddar…
Click here to reply
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.