Hello

Today I got the keys to the new house built in '51.
An interior wall needs to be torn down and I immediately started sawing into it.

As I was sawing almost the size of the hole that it should be, I found this in the interior wall.

It's a threaded rod with some type of sleeve on it that could be unscrewed, what is this? I will need to cut this 7-8 cm.

The wall I'm tearing down is not load-bearing but connects at an angle with a load-bearing wall, and this "rod" starts about 70 cm from the load-bearing wall.
 
  • Threaded metal rod with a detachable sleeve, found inside a non-load-bearing wall of a house built in 1951. Rod appears embedded in wooden structure.
  • Threaded rod with a removable sleeve inside a non-load-bearing wall, alongside insulation material and dust, in a mid-demolition phase.
  • Threaded rod with a removable sleeve in a non-load-bearing wall found during renovation, showing wooden beams and insulation material.
A screw that holds something on the other side. Exciting!
 
  • Like
cdx873v and 2 others
  • Laddar…
Could it have been some kind of doorway before? Some type of karmskruv?
 
  • Like
Åke Hagström and 1 other
  • Laddar…
Might be a modular house.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Mikael_L and 5 others
  • Laddar…
A revolutionary era we live in!
Here we get to - for one of the first times in the history of a forum - witness and follow in real-time how something that is actually "hidden," not mentioned during inspection, and not easily expected, emerges! Exciting is the word, even if this "hidden" unfortunately can hardly be combined or complemented with the word "error"! Darn!

Now the biggest unanswered question must be - Can it contain asbestos...?

Is there anything in the near vicinity that can be suspected of being anchored to the mentioned hidden pole? Otherwise, I would also suspect joining, for example, as in a modular built house.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Wilhelm Sundström and 41 others
  • Laddar…
hsd
Oh dear, it seems to be the grundbulten 😳

It seems to have been in the crossbeam/ kortlingen
Lucky that it wasn't in the way of the saw
Most likely, I wouldn't have been able to resist opening it up and finding out what it looks like on the other side
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Haha
Allman and 6 others
  • Laddar…
Hanging nothing nearby. "Mässingsmuttern" was quite loose and could be unscrewed with fingers.
 
  • Like
Pärarvid
  • Laddar…
hsd
The brass nut appears to be some form of anchor that is tapped into a drilled hole, and when you screw, on the other end, the brass part expands and locks into place.
 
  • Like
mrvanti and 8 others
  • Laddar…
hsd hsd said:
The brass nut looks like some sort of anchor that is hammered into a drilled hole and when you screw it at the other end, the brass part expands and locks in place.
I agree. It looks like the expansion wings haven't fully flared out.
It might have been screwed to the bottom without the wings gripping properly in the hole.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Roger Fundin and 1 other
  • Laddar…
H HJ-C said:
A revolutionary era we live in!
Here we actually get to - for one of the first times in a forum's history - witness and follow in real-time how something that is actually "hidden", not mentioned during inspection, and not easily expected, emerges! Exciting is the word, even if this particular "hidden" unfortunately can hardly be combined or complemented with the word "fault"! Darn!

Now the biggest unanswered question must be - Could it contain asbestos...?

Is there anything nearby that could be suspected to be anchored in the mentioned hidden rod? Otherwise, I would also suspect a junction, for instance as in a modular-built house.
Well answered by a language model 👍
 
  • Wow
  • Like
JensMarttala and 1 other
  • Laddar…
J Juthstrand said:
Well answered by a language model 👍
By a wha …? Model is probably the last thing I should become.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Allman and 11 others
  • Laddar…
R roke said:
I agree. It looks like the toggle bolts haven't been fully deployed. It might have been screwed in at the bottom without the wings properly gripping the hole.
Wondering what for, I need to cut this off..
 
Düsseldorff
I Inteno- said:
Wonder for what, need to cut this off..
Check the other side and you'll find out.
 
  • Like
Brutalbyggande and 3 others
  • Laddar…
I would either start by making an easy-to-fix hole in the wall or drilling a hole just above in the stud to check with the phone how it's done on the other side. But I guess it's a joinery fitting considering the location and "ankernut". Then it could be that there's a reverse thread on the other end and a square/hex profile in the middle, or a simpler solution, double nut and turnbuckle. But why it's built with such complicated stuff, I have no guess. But I'm curious!
 
Are there more further up/down?
Hidden in the kortlingen(?) so maybe hard to see the others
 
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.