I need some help brainstorming a solution for easily removing/replacing a plank in our deck skirt. Inside the skirt lives the filter pump for our small pool, and when the filter needs backwashing, the plank in the picture has to be removed to attach the hose that carries away the dirty water.
As seen in the picture, the plank is currently fastened with four regular decking screws. I don't like this solution because wood screws screwed in and out of wood will eventually make their holes too large. It also requires me to get a screwdriver with the right bit every time I want to remove the plank.
I feel there must be a better way to attach the plank so it stays secure but is still easy to remove. Magnets have been suggested to me, but it's tricky to find the right strength, and they tend to rust, so that's not very appealing.
I need some help brainstorming a solution to easily remove/replace a plank in our deck skirt. Inside the skirt is the filter pump for our small pool, and when the filter needs backwashing, the plank in the picture has to be removed to attach the hose that carries away the dirty water.
As shown in the picture, the plank is currently fastened with four regular deck screws. I don't like this solution because wood-threaded screws screwed in and out of wood will eventually make the holes too large. It also requires me to fetch a screwdriver with the right bit every time I want to remove the plank.
I feel there must be a better way to attach the plank so that it sits as it should, but still makes it easy to remove. Magnets have been suggested to me, but it’s tricky to find the right strength, and they tend to rust, so that’s not very appealing.
Anyone have a good idea?
[image]
Carriage bolt from the inside and wing nut on the outside? Should be possible to find in stainless steel at a boat supply store, I'm guessing? 🤔
I would prefer to have the solution as discreet as possible, and without anything standing out. It's a passage right past that part of the deck, and you don't want to risk catching on anything that isn't flush with the boards.
And carriage bolts with (wing) nuts feel like overkill. 😁 This board doesn't weigh much, and it doesn't contribute anything to the structure's strength.
I prefer the solution to be as discreet as possible, without anything standing out.
I've done something similar on my patio and used magnets, like the ones for old kitchen cabinets. They are strong enough to hold that piece in place! It might be tricky to grasp, but just pry out the board with a screwdriver or knife.
Good idea with the hanging brackets... but I think it will be practically impossible to get the exact placement of them and their corresponding screws and align the plank completely with the fixed planks. It's quite important that the lines remain precise, otherwise it will look bad.
I did something similar on my terrace and used magnets, like the ones for old kitchen cabinets. They are strong enough to hold the piece in place!
Maybe hard to grasp, but just pry out the board with a screwdriver or knife.
Magnets for old kitchen cabinets...🤔 What kind of magnets are they? They don't rust?
Good idea with the hangers...but I think it will be almost impossible to get the exact placement of them and their corresponding screws and get the plank completely aligned with the fixed planks. It's quite important that the lines are kept precise, otherwise it will look bad.
[link]
This type is what I mean. Mine haven't rusted but they are somewhat protected.
I feel very doubtful that they wouldn't rust where I need to have mine...but the magnet slot is still tempting for several reasons. You should be able to spray some anti-rust paint on the magnets. 🤔
I would have made a mini-door from all 3 planks in height and attached a hasp, door lock, or similar as a closure mechanism.
Asked AI to sketch a bit, but it turned out somewhat mediocre.
Hehe...sometimes AI fails quite spectacularly. 😂
Mazen said:
Ranpamuff etc.
I'm looking for a tool-free solution.
This can be solved in simple ways, but those may not be very pretty. I'm the kind of person who doesn't always seek the simplest solution but prefers something a bit more elegant/complex...because it's fun. 😃
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.